Which Driver Errors Lead to the Most Crashes in Pennsylvania?
- posted: Jan. 10, 2022
- Car Accidents
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, “Some form of poor/degraded driver performance is present in the majority of [motor vehicle] crashes.” Statistics from 2015 indicate the most common driving errors that led to crashes were:
- Speeding — 33,176 total crashes and 467 fatal
- Distracted driver — 14,805 total crashes and 61 fatal
- Improper turning — 12,928 total crashes and 78 fatal
- Alcohol consumption — 9,520 total crashes and 167 fatal
- Proceeding without clearance — 8,434 total crashes and 40 fatal
- Tailgating (following too closely) — 5,829 total crashes and 5 fatal
- Careless or illegal passing — 4,389 total crashes and 60 fatal
- Drowsy driving — 2,606 total crashes and 19 fatal
These statistics suggest that speeding is the worst driving mistake, both for the frequency and severity of accidents. But when we drill a little deeper, we see that of the accidents these driving errors cause, the likelihood that a crash will be fatal is as follows:
- Alcohol consumption — 1.7 percent of total crashes were fatal
- Speeding — 1.4 percent of total crashes were fatal
- Careless or illegal passing — 1.36 percent of total crashes were fatal
- Drowsy driving — 0.73 percent of total crashes were fatal
- Improper turning — 0.60 percent of total crashes were fatal
- Proceeding without clearance — 0.47 percent of total crashes were fatal
- Distracted driver — 0.41 percent of total crashes were fatal
- Tailgating (following too closely) — 0.09 percent of total crashes were fatal
Alcohol consumption leaps to the front of the pack as the driving error most likely to cause a fatal accident, followed closely by speeding and careless/illegal passing. It should be noted that alcohol consumption not only impairs motor reflexes but judgment as well, making a drunk driver more likely to commit other driving errors, such as speeding, illegal passing, and tailgating.
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you need experienced legal representation to obtain the compensation you deserve. Call Matthew R. Zatko, Attorney at Law at 814-443-1631 or contact my office online to schedule a free consultation.